Allen County Building
The Allen County Building Department administers and enforces building, heating, ventilation, air conditioning, electrical, plumbing, sanitation, and minimum housing codes and standards for the protection of life/safety in the built environment. The Building Department enforces the State of Indiana Codes, which are based primarily on the model codes developed by the International Code Council (ICC).
What the Building Department does:
- Issues contractor licenses and registrations.
- Sponsors contractor testing through ICC and Prometric to qualify candidates for license and registration.
- Issues building permits.
- Performs building inspections during construction, renovation, remodeling, or demolition.
- Issues Certificate of Occupancy (C of O) at the completion of construction.
- Performs minimum housing inspections.
- Enforces the State of Indiana “Unsafe Building Law” for impaired buildings and properties.